Celadon Mansion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ancient Pokémon concept game and other ideas of mine

2 posters

Go down

Ancient Pokémon concept game and other ideas of mine Empty Ancient Pokémon concept game and other ideas of mine

Post by Tulcakelumë Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:17 am

While I'm slowly working on a hack of Gold, I came up with another idea for a hack.

The scenario would be in the remote past on a big island. There would be only ancient pokémon (like fossils and others regarded as ancient, even though there would be anachronisms, but hey, it's Pokémon) who coexisted with primitive humans and could be befriended like in modern era you can capture them.
You would be a pre-historic character who departed from your tribe in shame and went to explore the world on your own to prove yourself. This is the basic concept, who needs to be expanded later on.

Regarding technological and cultural features, I'm thinking in mixing up Stone Age technology with some Bronze Age cultural features.

Now gamelike, I would like to ask for your opinion on some things:
- Since Pokéballs and apricorns where not around at that time, a system is needed so you can befriend ("capture") Pokémon. What do you think would be a good system?
- Likewise, an alternative method for storage system would be needed. I thought about this but hadn't come up with good ideas.
I tought of having some sort of a breeding center in every village, and each breeding center would "store" the Pokémon you'd left there, meaning you could only "withdraw" that Pokémon from that breeding center alone. But, since you can't have more that six Pokémon at a time due to the game mechanics, a work around would be needed if you already had six pokémon and befriended a new one.
If you have a more clear idea, feel free to share.
- Pokédex didn't exist at the time, so another means of recording the data would be needed. Drawings and description could come in form of leaves, sheets, leather or other types of portable things. A concept to be developed.
- HMs could be substituted for tools like the Axe for Cut or the Raft for Surf. And TM's would just be techniques thaught to Pokémon, instead of those disc-devices.

There are more features that would need to be transposed to the era, feel free to point them.

-----------------
(And I have another ideia for a Gen. II hack that consists in starting your adventure in Pallet Town and explore the Kanto region as the main region of the game, and then Johto as the second region. Since there are already a few hacks in development with this concept, I'll wait and see if I like them.)
Tulcakelumë
Tulcakelumë

Back to top Go down

Ancient Pokémon concept game and other ideas of mine Empty Re: Ancient Pokémon concept game and other ideas of mine

Post by Mateo Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:59 am

I like the concept, it seems like it would be interesting to play. I've had ideas in the past for a game that took place in the distant past as well, but not quite as distant as yours. My scenario would have involved the civilizations of the Ruins of Alph, Tanoby Ruins, and the other ruins being connected (along with the Pokemon World's version of Atlantis) through a stargate-like network. Well, they would have looked like Stargates, but wouldn't have actually been on other planets or anything. Clearly, mine was a lot more inspired by ancient astronaut theory than yours, so completely different ideas. Even still, I'll see what I can contribute to this without trying to take it in a direction you weren't trying to go.

----------------

On terms of befriending them, one thing that comes to mind is feeding them. This is how the capture mechanism worked in Dragon Warrior Monsters, which was of course the Dragon Warrior series' answer to Pokemon (although some people try to deny that it was).

On terms of storage, I like the breeding center idea. You could easily have an NPC call the same routines the PCs did, and just change up the text. Another way would be if you wanted to include a mystical/magical element. You could have the NPC in charge or storage be a type of shaman, and he could summon your Pokemon from the other villages and bring them to you as an explanation.

I think a type of primitive notebook made from papyrus, where the player is asked to keep a journal of the Pokemon he seems would be a fitting replacement, and would be appropriate for the time. You said bronze and stone age, and that was the same time as Ancient Egypt, where they had papyrus.

Replacing HMs with Tools could work, but making them items might get complicated. I'm not sure, I haven't really looked into altering field moves that way to say for sure. On the TMs, you could easily replace them with books/scrolls that would theoretically show you how to teach the move to a Pokemon. That seems like a good idea.

I think it would also be cool if you replace the Pokemon Centers with an Inn-type area, where you were stopping to rest instead of placing your Pokeballs in a machine to have them healed automagically.

Another idea you could consider is removing the part rock-type on these ancient Pokemon. It seems pretty clear to me that the Rock-type is a result of them being revived from fossils, not an original typing from before they went extinct. This could give you more freedom to experiment and re-balance them, since having everyone be part rock-type would be hard to balance. For example, I could see Kabuto and Kabutops being Water and Bug, instead of Water and Rock. Likewise, I could see Aerodactyl being Dragon and Flying; Omanyte and Omastar could be Water and Ice. Other things like that. Again, just a suggestion.

Anyway, I hope this helps!
Mateo
Mateo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Ancient Pokémon concept game and other ideas of mine Empty Re: Ancient Pokémon concept game and other ideas of mine

Post by Tulcakelumë Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:24 am

Thanks for your contribution Mateo!

I didn't know about Dragon Warrior Monsters, but that seems a nice capture mechanics. It makes sense, you allure it by offering food, and at the same time you gain their trust. I like the idea!

The shaman character as a "PC guy" fits nicely! I hadn't thought about mystical/magical concepts, but in the distant past that was an important aspect of society. It wouldn't be out-of-place at all. Great thanks on this one!

About removing the part rock-type on ancient Pokémon, that was also what I was thinking, since I share the same opinion as yours about them.

I have also in mind two ideas that could complement each other. One is to make some changes in the design of some pokémon for them to appear ancient, like having a darker coloration, or a different pattern in their body. The other idea is to create new old pokemon that would be common acenstors to pokemon on the same egg group, such as Rhydon and Nidoking. The two might work simultaneously.
Tulcakelumë
Tulcakelumë

Back to top Go down

Post by Mateo Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:35 pm

Ooh I like the idea of ancient versions/ancestors of modern Pokemon. That seems realistic and cool. Maybe a much more powerful sabre-toothed persian, and Houndour or Mightyena that was larger to be like the Dire Wolf, there are all sorts of options.
Mateo
Mateo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down