Celadon Mansion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Tool]Gen II "Trainer Script" Editor

Go down

[Tool]Gen II "Trainer Script" Editor Empty [Tool]Gen II "Trainer Script" Editor

Post by Mateo Mon Jul 01, 2013 2:37 am

Hey guys, this is my latest simple tool that I put together. It edits the "scripts" of trainers who are defined by being a "type 02" person event, the ones who don't run a "normal" script like other people do. As with all of my tools, it is for Windows and was made originally for personal use. They say "Necessity is the mother of invention" but sometimes "Getting tired of looking at a hex editor" is the mother of invention too. It gets old quickly looking around in a hex editor every time you want to change which type of trainer the event calls, and it is really easy to miscount and edit the wrong byte when trying to edit just one part of the "script". I made this tool to make that part less annoying for me. Hopefully, at least some of you will find it helpful as well.

[Tool]Gen II "Trainer Script" Editor Trainere

To edit a script, you just type the start offset of the trainer's script and hit "Load Script". This way it supports editing scripts anywhere you want to add them.

As you can see, this has fields for all of the parts in a trainer's "script". The BitNo field and all of the pointers read Hexadecimal values, of course. The "Trainer Class" is selectable from a dropdown list, because it is annoying to look up "Ok so, what hex value stands for Hiker again?" when you want to change a trainer's class. Also, the value for the Trainer Number is editable as decimal, because it is more natural to count in decimal than hexadecimal when looking at a list of trainers.

Also, there is a box labeled "Offset after trainer script" that you cannot edit. Basically, I put this here to make life easier when inserting a brand new trainer in some free space. This way you know the next free location in the rom, so you can have the "Script You Win" point to it, and insert the script there to keep everything neat and together.

As far as I know, there shouldn't be any bugs. I've tested it on Windows XP and Windows 7. If you run into any bugs let me know, and naturally when testing any new tool for the first time, its a good idea to make a backup first just in case something crazy happens that nobody planned on.

Download:
Mediafire Download
Mateo
Mateo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down