Celadon Mansion
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chat Thread II

5 posters

Go down

Chat Thread II Empty Re: Chat Thread II

Post by Mateo Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:23 am

Hey congrats on graduation bro! Hope the college visit goes well.

Also, I'll be a little busy the next few days too. On Thursday, I'm supposed to go in to take some sort of test as part of applying for a job as a police dispatcher with E911. So wish me luck on that if y'all don't mind haha.

And yeah, good call making this new one as a real chat thread. I think I'll close the other one and eventually delete it since it was just sort of a complaint thread.
Mateo
Mateo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny-E 33 Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:31 am

jwibagi, have fun at graduation tomorrow!
Mateo, good luck with applying to be a police dispatcher! That's pretty cool!
Danny-E 33
Danny-E 33

Back to top Go down

Post by Mateo Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:37 am

Danny-E 33 wrote:jwibagi, have fun at graduation tomorrow!
Mateo, good luck with applying to be a police dispatcher! That's pretty cool!

Thanks man! And yeah, it seems like it'll be pretty cool (assuming I get it of course). A friend of mine works as a dispatcher up here, so I at least have some idea of what to expect if I get it.
Mateo
Mateo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny-E 33 Wed Jun 19, 2013 11:14 am

Mhm. Well let me know what happens!
Danny-E 33
Danny-E 33

Back to top Go down

Post by Miksy91 Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:01 pm

Yeah, have fun time tomorrow jwibagi!
And hope you get the job Mateo, even though I've no idea what "dispatching" is all about, hahha Very Happy Sounds like it could be cool though.

Personally, I'd like using real names around here. Feels stupid calling you jwibagi and Mateo since it's like there aren't many others around either. But that's just me Smile

Miksy91

Back to top Go down

Post by Mateo Wed Jun 19, 2013 6:21 pm

I'm fine with using real names here if you guys are.

Also, on your question about Dispatching: Dispatchers are the ones who take the calls when people call the police or the emergency number, then they get on the radio and tell the cops/fire dept/etc to go take care of what is going on. They also do things like run people's information and things like that when an officer calls in asking for it.
Mateo
Mateo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny-E 33 Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:52 pm

Yeah, Matt, that sounds pretty fun! Do you know how well it will pay?

Mika, are you still in school? Do you have a job?
Danny-E 33
Danny-E 33

Back to top Go down

Post by Mateo Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:57 pm

I don't know exactly what it will be, but I hear its pretty decent. The friend I heard about it from says that it pays pretty well, and that he thinks the one I'm applying with pays more than where he works.
Mateo
Mateo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Miksy91 Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:11 am

Well, I think you might just get it. One who can do that definitely needs patience and has to keep calm, no matter "how much" you've got to take during some phone calls.

Also as for myself - I'm in school, precisely in university of Helsinki. I started studying chemistry and maths but switched off to IT since I felt that would offer better "job selections". And since I've been liking programming ever since I learned how the scripting engine works in G/S games. We've been using Java and it's kinda different from what I've used to when hacking but the general idea is of course the same - thinking about what happens in code after instruction and another.

How about you, Danny? (I think that nickname sounds cool so I could as well call you that if you're fine with it.)

(Also, darn! Blackhawks just tied the series. Not sure if anybody else is watching that but I do like checking out the goals and seeing what happens.)

Miksy91

Back to top Go down

Post by Mateo Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:23 am

Yeah, in a smaller town like I'll be dispatching in, it shouldn't be anything like a hollywood movie most of the time. I'm sure you'll get the occasional emergency that will be really stressful, but from what I hear most of what goes on will be standard "there's a stranger outside" or "Someone ran into a pole and my power is out" or "a car just ran off the road" etc. I doubt that it would often involve any kind of tense hollywood style dealing with a hostage situation or some kind of crazy thing like that. But I guess there's only one way to find out for sure!

Also, Jay, I don't know if you are driving or riding as a passenger on that trip, but if you aren't driving you might want to grab a Gameboy or something haha. I'm no stranger to long car trips (my family drove from Alabama to Montana, stayed out there for like a week, and drove back. Sight seeing along the way of course, and while we were there. Fun trip, but a long ride in a van. Come to think of it, I think that's when I designed those Safari Zone tilesets I posted earlier today-- on my laptop in the back seat of the van on the way to Montana. Explains why I didn't have a use for them and didn't know why I made them. It was to pass the time xD). But enough rambling from me, have fun bro!
Mateo
Mateo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Miksy91 Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:12 am

jwibagi wrote:I'm pretty new to long car trips. I rarely take long rides. I'm not driving at all, luckily for me.

At the school there'll be tons of entertainment so I'm not concerned when I get there - the road trip is the worst part.
Nah! A 7-hour car drive is nothing really Smile
I see why (due to some facts we've been talking about) you're probably not used to traveling but that kind of a trip isn't really that long.

(As for myself, I'd actually rather drive myself than sit nearby and watch someone else do it, but I'm used to doing that.)

But hey, that's pretty much about it. Hope you can keep yourself occupied with all the rom hacks (and that book). Also since you're playing my hack with a more accurate emulating system (than VBA), would you message me if you find any bugs related to graphics not being displayed properly? I didn't have what it took to do a test-run of the game with BGB in the end.

By the way, any ideas when you might get the money to buy an own pc?

Miksy91

Back to top Go down

Post by Tulcakelumë Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:02 am

Miksy91 wrote:
jwibagi wrote:I'm pretty new to long car trips. I rarely take long rides. I'm not driving at all, luckily for me.

At the school there'll be tons of entertainment so I'm not concerned when I get there - the road trip is the worst part.
Nah! A 7-hour car drive is nothing really Smile
Yeah, it may scare one at first, but once you're on the move, you let yourself go with the flow Smile (btw, how was it?)
I myself have done a 5-hour trip under windy conditions and a bit of rain, sometimes my car would shake a bit, I got scared for a while, but once I arrived, I felt that was nothing.

By the way, since jwibagi mentioned reading, what kind of books do you like to read? I myself like especially mid-to-high fantasy and pseudo-historical books, although I haven't read in a regular basis for about 5 years. Presently I'm reading now and then the norse Eddas, with the finnish Kalevala on sight.

And to conclude, hi everyone!
Tulcakelumë
Tulcakelumë

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:58 am

Fweww, I fifnished (finally) Hi-School, my last exam was yesterday.
Final results came out next week, I did some calculation and my final result should be good.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mateo Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:39 pm

Hey congrats 80C!
Mateo
Mateo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Jun 28, 2013 6:03 pm

Hay:D , thank you, it's the end of an Age...

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Magius Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:15 am

Tulcakelumë wrote:
By the way, since jwibagi mentioned reading, what kind of books do you like to read? I myself like especially mid-to-high fantasy and pseudo-historical books, although I haven't read in a regular basis for about 5 years. Presently I'm reading now and then the norse Eddas, with the finnish Kalevala on sight.

And to conclude, hi everyone!
Hey Tul-- ... Hey! Actually, what you mentioned is exactly what I read as well. Fantasy, historical (and alternate history!) and sci-fi mostly. I'm currently reading "Watership Down" by Richard Adams.

Also, good job 80C! :)It's a huge load off the back, eh.
Mr. Magius
Mr. Magius
Administrator
Administrator

https://twilight-hacking.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Danny-E 33 Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:46 am

Woooow... I check this board every day waiting for the "new posts" icon to be red on the homepage and I've never seen new posts have been posted, but that's because I've been logged out for no apparent reason.. -_-
Anyway Mika, I'm moving one month from today to a college 10ish hours away from my Illinois house to my girlfriend's parent's house in Michigan. I'm going for computer science, but I won't take any computer science classes really cause I'll just be taking general education classes that will transfer to a university after two years at this community college.
Danny-E 33
Danny-E 33

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:05 pm

Thank you Jwibagi, it was very hard for me, I had to travel 90 Kilometers per day every day on a motorbike to reach my school, but it's ok, it was needed.

Back to top Go down

Post by Mr. Magius Sat Jul 06, 2013 7:03 pm

I just went on a road trip to a KISS expo. I stopped at a pawn shop and picked up a couple blues CDs (a Best Of and a Cherry Poppin' Daddies CD). As I was purchasing them, the cashier was commenting that "I'm too young to listen to stuff this ancient."

So, what is everyone here's music tastes like?
Mr. Magius
Mr. Magius
Administrator
Administrator

https://twilight-hacking.darkbb.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Mateo Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:01 pm

I listen to a few different genres, and a lot of the music I listen to is from other decades. Right now the CD in my car stereo is "Paul Simon - Negotiations and Love Songs 1971-1986" (Most people know a few of the songs at least. "You Can Call Me Al" and "Me and Julio Down By The School Yard" and "Mother And Child Reunion" I would think most people have heard of). But I also listen to a lot of other stuff like 90s country music (Alan Jackson, George Strait, Joe Diffie, Brad Paisley, etc.) 80s pop (Huey Lewis & The News, Michael Jackson, Madonna, Adam Ant, Duran Duran, Debbie Gibson, etc.) 80s Rock (Poison, Motley Crue, Kiss, Guns N Roses, Van Halen, Warrant, Scorpions, Journey, etc.) 90s/00s pop/top 40 stuff (Barenaked Ladies, Avril Lavigne, Bowling for Soup, Blink-182, Creed, Jimmy Eat World, Matchbox Twenty, and sometimes even Backstreet Boys, 'N Sync, Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, etc. if I'm feeling especially thorney that day). But the I also listen to stuff like The Wallflowers, The Goo Goo Dolls, Counting Crows, Hootie & The Blowfish, and all sorts of stuff. Sometimes I even listen to techno and dance music (but not dubstep, although honestly the only dubstep I have heard to be able to judge it by is that skrillex nonsense that sounds like you plugged a fork into a wall outlet while using a circular saw) And I still listen to stuff from nowadays sometimes too (but none of that Justin Bieber nonsense), just not as often as I listen to stuff from... decades I wish I grew up in. Haha.

EDIT: Also, Mr.Magius, the Cherry Poppin' Daddies are pretty cool. My old e-mail account (that has since been hacked) was zoot_suit_riot07@hotmail.com haha.
Mateo
Mateo
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Miksy91 Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:00 pm

Danny-E 33 wrote:Anyway Mika, I'm moving one month from today to a college 10ish hours away from my Illinois house to my girlfriend's parent's house in Michigan. I'm going for computer science, but I won't take any computer science classes really cause I'll just be taking general education classes that will transfer to a university after two years at this community college.
Sorry Danny... didn't want to ignore you but I just haven't visited this forum in a while, that's all.

The education system here is quite different btw. You pretty much decide what you're going to study, and then you just study it. It's uncommon to switch from a college to another just for possible "better" education. But hey, talk to you sometime on Facebook for instance Smile (which I might as well do with others here as well.)

Miksy91

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down